Thursday, November 11, 2010

Y: The Last Man Has A Director

Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier recently sat down with MTV News and confirmed he wants to make Y: The Last Man into a movie or possibly a television show.
     "I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten made yet," Leterrier said. "The first time I read it, I was in France and doing my little movies, and I didn't think I would ever have access to these kinds of movies. Midway through Clash of the Titans, I was like, 'What's going on with 'Y The Last Man'?' I called one of the producers and asked what was going on, and he said it was available. I said, 'Let's go!'"

"D.J. Caruso was supposed to do it with Shia LaBeouf, and that sort of went on and was over, so I went in and said, 'Please, please let me have it!'" he explained.

"It's kind of stuck somewhere now," said the filmmaker. "I still want to do it. I'm passionate about it. But it's stuck. People don't know what to do with it. I'd love to do it, but I need people to finance it, and the people financing it don't know if it's a TV show a movie, or what it should be. It could play as a movie, but it would be very interesting as a TV show," he said. "[It wouldn't work as] one large film, no. I'd love to do it as a TV show or a three-part series."

"I like the idea of a TV show," he continued. "You take time to get to know your characters. You can introduce a lot of characters. You don't need your three-action set pieces that you usually need for movies. Frankly, with HBO and Showtime and cable shows, the DVD box sets and all, you can have a product that doesn't make you feel like as soon as it's projected, it's thrown away. It's really a piece of art."

This has got to be a television show to do it proper justice I believe.  Can it be done as a film?  Ya but not one movie, it would  have to be a trilogy.  The story is complex and deeply emotional and one of the best comic book series I have ever read.  A two hour film just would not do the story justice.  It sounds like Leterrier knows this, so let's hope iof this gets made it's made well and stands true to the comic series.

No comments: